What do you need to decide before you hire?

{hint} It’s not a job description, a comp plan or your onboarding manual. No, in my mind you need to start with your principles. Good news is that some people have done a very good job of building you a template of ideas. Enter Amazon. I love Amazon. It delivers seamlessly to my home more […]

May 22, 2022

READY AIM EMPIRE : What do you need to decide before you hire?

{hint} It’s not a job description, a comp plan or your onboarding manual.

No, in my mind you need to start with your principles. Good news is that some people have done a very good job of building you a template of ideas.

Enter Amazon.

I love Amazon. It delivers seamlessly to my home more often than I should admit. The day toilet paper arrived in the mail after our move, Dan groaned and I rejoiced {and would you believe it was less expensive than going to the store}.

While I adore the convenience of ordering “Essentialism”, my favorite toothpaste {Hello Fresh}, and Remy’s Christmas presents, that’s not actually what brings me back.

No, it’s there customer service. It’s not just good. It’s amazing.

This does not come from one person at the top of a customer service department screaming the need for treating people right. This comes down to hiring every employee with the mindset that the customer comes first and then empowering them with the ability to make it happen.

Every employee at Amazon is a leader. And, these are their leadership principles.

These principles are not for the feint of heart. In fact, they are meant to weed out 99% of people who want to work at Amazon, which leaves them with the 1%.

The 1% who will make sure that your customers are satisfied no matter what.

The 1% who strategizes how to both save money and build revenue at the same time.

The 1% who operates your business with the same stringency that you do, because they feel like they have ownership.

The 1% who ignores what their job title is and steps up to the smallest tasks because that’s what a great company requires.

One caveat. There must be balance in these principles. Not just a little, but a lot.

Amazon doesn’t do a great job at this balance, which explains it’s terrible turn over rate. In a quest for perfect customer service it is a wildly imperfect employee manager. So as you build your leadership principles, consider taking a peek at this article in the NY Times. As we wrote our principles, I used the thoughts from here to help me temper them with how I wanted my employees to be treated {with grace, like a family member}.

I suspect you’ll find that creating that balance may not the be the easiest, but once you find it, you’ve created a glorious place for many years to come!

With Grit and Gratitude,
Lise

PS. This summer we’re hard at work releasing our podcast {can I say that filming the first dozen episodes is serious work}. I’m sharing some of my favorite articles that have made me think and grow…hope you enjoy them as much as I have!

If you liked this episode...

then you'll love these too!
Beth Potter and Growing a Team of Leaders

Most business owners know WHERE they want to go. They have all their goals outlined, have all of their quarterly plans laid out in detail, and break down their growth strategy year-by-year.  But, that isn’t enough to create and build a great business.  Y’all, leaders of great businesses don’t start with the ‘where’… … they […]

Peter Pastijn and the Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Teachers

Your trainers and teachers are the most crucial part of your studio.  And you need to do everything in your power to keep them happy while still making sure they stay aligned with your studio’s goals.  Easier said than done.  Which is why we’ve called in some expert help today! Regular Ready.Aim.Empire listeners will recognize […]

Jasmine Judson on Meditation and Healing Yourself

I want you to answer this question as honestly as possible:  When was the last time you allowed yourself to fully disconnect from your studio? If you have to go back a few months (or even years) to think of a response, we have a problem.  Being a studio owner is like running a marathon. […]

6 Ways to Grow Into Your Leadership with Michelle Tenuta

Leadership isn’t a trait everyone is born with.  But it can be learned. Leadership is like a muscle. The more you train it, the stronger it gets.  And that’s exactly what Studio Grow coach Michelle Tenuta is here to help you do today! Michelle is the owner of Rising Goddess Fitness and has been leading […]

Stay up to date!

Sign up here to get friendly reminders when new episodes are up.

Want to be interviewed on the pod? Head over here to tell us a bit more about yourself + what juicy lessons you have to share.

Hit enter to search or ESC to close